The Weekly 411 (5/4/18)
|© Mette Engell|
May 4, 2018, vol. 18
AGENT SPOTLIGHT & WEBINAR
We have a special Agent Spotlight on Fiona Kenshole of Transatlantic Agency
May 15: How to Make Your Story Stand Out from the Crowd: We see so many manuscripts that are competently written and well plotted - but does yours have the "sparkle factor" that makes it irresistible? In this talk we'll go beyond craft to get to the heart of how to tell the story you need to tell, why it matters, and how to surprise and delight your readers. We'll look at voice, character, plot and, above all, emotional engagement.
We are excited to feature author J.H. Diehl (Jean Diehl) and her debut middle grade novel, TINY INFINITIES (Chronicle Books, 2018). Be sure to enter to win a copy at the end of this interview.
|Cover art © Maggie Enterrios|
We are also excited to feature three YA debut authors:
- Britta Lundin, SHIP IT (Free Form, May 1, 2018)
- Taryn Ashford, THE HARPER EFFECT (Sky Pony Press, May 15, 2018)
- Anna Hecker, WHEN THE BEAT DROPS (Sky Pony Press, May 15, 2018)
Aug 7 Pitch Wars
- What: pitch your YA, MG, or adult ms in an effort to get a mentor to help polish your ms for an agent round. Note new schedule.
- Prize: mentorship on your novel and the chance to grab the attention of agents
Pixar Shorts: Mentor Texts for PBs
12 Picture Book Topics to Avoid
11 Best Ideas to Brainstorm Picture Books
Paying for a Professional Critique - Some Thoughts
Is Your Definition of Author Success All Wrong?
DONATE TO KIDLIT411
Once a month, we include this appeal. If you have enjoyed receiving our weekly updates each Friday, learned from your peers in our Facebook group, or have come into an unexpected inheritance, consider donating to help keep us running. $12 is the equivalent of $1/month for a year, $24 is $2/month. Click the button below to donate via PayPal. Thank you!