The Weekly 411 (9/25/20)
|© Julie Rowan-Zoch
About the book: Fish have fins and gills and tails. All fish swim and most have scales. . . but not all fish are alike. From zapping, stinging, even singing, to playing dead or a see-through head, discover the freaky and funky ways fish look and act to survive in the waters they live in.
About the Author: Debra Kempf Shumaker started reading at the age of four and hasn't stopped since. She grew up on a small dairy farm in Wisconsin but now lives in the suburbs of Northern Virginia with her husband, three sons, and two cats. Her nonfiction articles have appeared in Spider, Boys' Quest, and Fun for Kidz. FREAKY, FUNKY FISH is her debut picture book. Follow her on Twitter @ShumakerDebra or find out more at: https://debrashumaker.com/
About the Illustrator: Claire Powell is a bestselling children's book illustrator working in London, UK. She started out designing for big-hitting television brands before an impromptu visit to a children's book exhibition led her down the path of illustration. A hugely versatile artist, Claire has a talent for creating characters that are brimming with emotion and personality. Follow her on Twitter @misspowellpeeps
or find out more at: http://www.claire-powell.com/
Add the book to your Goodreads list!
|Illustration by Luna Valentine. Cover Design by Valerie Hernández
- What: submit three sequential images illustrating the theme "silver lining" either in full color for PB audience, or B&W for MG audience
- Who: SCBWI members
- Prize: free tuition virtual SCBWI winter conference
- What You Don’t Know You Don’t Know – Writing Outside Your Experience - Miranda and Baptiste Paul
- Fiction, Nonfiction, and the Spaces Between: Harnessing Reality to Speak to Readers (Uma Krishnaswami)
- Stories of the Editorial and Development Process: The Creative and Destructive Work of Attacking a Narrative We No Longer Need (Namrata Tripathi)
- Creating Multidimensional Characters (Cheryl Klein)
Get our weekly newsletter by email: