The Weekly 411 (3/31/23)
|© Leila Nabih|
March 31, 2023 vol. 13
The Weekly 411 gathers all the links added to Kidlit411 each week. To receive this post by email, sign up for our email updates. Are you on Facebook? Join our Kidlit411 group for conversations and camaraderie. This week's illustration is by Leila Nabih.
About the Book: Discover the story behind the Fourteenth Dalai Lama’s journey from Tibet to permanent exile in India in this captivating graphic novel written by 2020 APALA Award-winning author Teresa Robeson and illustrator Angela Poon.
Follow the Fourteenth Dalai Lama’s harrowing escape to India in 1959, as he fled Chinese suppression of a national uprising in Tibet. A story of risk and political tension, this graphic novel invites readers to immerse themselves in the incredible story of the Tibetan spiritual and political leader — brought to life by gripping narrative and vivid full-color illustrations that jump off the page.
About the Author: Teresa Robeson is the APALA Picture Book Award-winning author of Queen of Physics: How Wu Chien Shiung Helped Unlock the Secrets of the Atom. Having grown up in the big cities of Hong Kong and Vancouver, British Columbia, she now lives with her family on 27-acres in rural Indiana where she relaxes by birding, keeping up with science, making soap, knitting, baking, and trying to impress the chickens with her bilingualism.
About the Illustrator: Angela Poon is a freelance illustrator and comic artist living in Mississauga, Ontario. She is a graduate of Sheridan College's Bachelor of Illustration program, and is the illustrator of the graphic novel Fred & Marjorie: A Doctor, a Dog, and the Discovery of Insulin and the picture book Vee in Between. Angela enjoys capturing warmth and little moments of everyday life in her illustrations.
- What: a 3-month mentorship with an agented picture book author or agent
- Who: un-agented picture book authors, illustrators, and author-illustrators, plus agented PB creators without book deals
- When: apply April 17-27
- Note: April 11 Virtual Meet the Mentors Panel and Q&A event. Register here
- What: Write a story for kids under 12 years old inspired by a GIF
- Prizes: signed books, critiques, more
- What: submit a work-in-progress
- Who: unpublished SCBWI member over the age of 50, work not under contract
- Prize: $500 plus tuition to a SCBWI conference
- What: Submit a PB, CB, MG, YA, nonfiction, or underrepresented fiction/nonfiction
- Who: current SCBWI member, work not under contract
- Prize: work will be in a showcase to editors
- What: submit a portfolio or rough picture book dummy
- Who: current SCBWI member
- Prize: two $1000 prizes (one to a published, on unpublished illustrator)
I look forward to reading about the Dalai Lama! Congratulations to Teresa and Angela!ReplyDelete
I'm excited to read this book and learn about the Dalai Lama.ReplyDelete
Looking forward to seeing your new book!ReplyDelete
This sounds fascinating! I have many readers at my school who love biographies and the graphic format helps to make them more accessible. They would grab this one off the shelf in an instant!ReplyDelete